Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Things you see on TV and what they lead to

Being my nerdy self, I was watching the Discovery channel last night, and a commercial comes on the TV... earth shattering right? Hardly, and I don't usually pay attention... but for some reason last night I didn't change the channel for this commercial, and I saw a friend I have barely scene since my university days, selling shampoo.

I think to myself... nah, can't be.... then I log onto my trusty facebook account, look for him, and see that he is now stationed in New York, so it is a possibility... then I start looking up more old friends from this time in my life, see what they are up to...

What this leads me to do is realize I need to make a change in my life. Realized I need to get back to being the girl I was back then, knowing that I was going to do something with my life that was out of the ordinary. Not that I was going to save the world or cure cancer, or even become famous. Just that I have always assumed that there was more for me in this life than the standard fare of husband, house, job and 2.5 kids.

I have for too long pushed that part of me to the fringes of my life. Last night seeing this friend going after a dream, and seeing so many others that I used to know doing the same, was a sort of wake up call. I need to make a change. It has been consuming my thoughts ever since.

I will keep you posted on what that is when I find it.

2 comments:

hazel said...

I think these wake up calls come at various points in our lives when we are ready for them. Good for you for recognizing it and looking to take the next step. That's the important thing.

I'm in a similar situation - looking at a career change of sorts in order to follow my dream of a more fulfilled life.

Cheers to us! :-)

Tanya said...

I agree, Cheers to us!
Thanks Haze.