Monday, April 28, 2008

A Little Girl's Broken Heart


ML had her heart broken for the first time this weekend. Broken by a group of girl's that excluded her.


I wasn't there, so I don't have an observer's unbiased picture of what went down. All ML could tell me is that these girls all had bikes (she doesn't have a bike at her father's) and she was playing with them, and then all of a sudden they all took off on their bikes and left her behind. Whether this slight and abandonment was intentional or not, or whether ML just didn't understand, the hurt she felt was real. ML is a sensitive soul, she comes by it honestly, and this broke her heart. It broke mine too.


The Ex told her that the kids were being mean, well this seemed to hurt her more as she really likes these girls and defended their actions even though it made her cry for hours after the fact.


I know that this will be the first of I am sure many times that she will cry because of the behavior of girls. Why are girls so mean at times? I remember all of the tears that I shed from similar hurts, and they seem to continue throughout our lives. The cliques and the exclusions, why even at her preschool there is a clique of girls that remind the other girls that they are not part of their best friends. They are FOUR!!


All I know how to do is remind her of all her good friends she has, and that if they are making her feel that way, then maybe she shouldn't play with them...


Anyone else with good ideas on dealing with the girl stuff?


No comments: